Sugar sugar, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, oh honey honey. Ok, I'm done! So can I just embarrassingly share how bad my addiction to SUGAR was?! Prior to getting pregnant I had it controlled pretty well. (I mean ok, may be not 100%, but it's all about balance guys!) So fast forward to pregnancy, when I was eating entire pumpkin pies all by myself. YES. Pumpkin pies rock my world. On top of that, Thomas and I had our own idea of fun. What I have affectionately termed 'candy parties'. Neither of us drink alcohol, so our binge parties come in the form of red food coloring #5 and processed sugars. I was addicted! Yes, hi my name is Melissa and I'm a suga-holic.
But I knew I had to change this habit. Because whoa, do you guys know how much sugar consumption affects your bodies? YIKES! Recently in my health group, I shared a photo of how much sugar you consume in a month, just drinking ONE can of soda per day. If you think you're being 'good' by only having one soda a day, check it out because that photo BLEW my mind. Personally, I have diabetes on both sides of my family, so sugar consumption is a bit worrisome to me! Not to mention, if you have had gestational diabetes, your risk of developing diabetes later in life is 7 times greater than the average person. But healthy blood sugar though is important for EVERYONE. Here's why:
Insulin is a master hormone in your body. When it is properly balanced it can "talk" to all the other hormones within your body and get things going in the right direction. That communication right there is vital for your overall health. That communication is called “Insulin Sensitivity”, and it is the opposite of “Insulin Resistant”. When the blood sugar is balanced and the body is not being flooded with insulin it can then start to heal itself. Little by little, your body will start that necessary communication again. The communication brings harmony and balance back to your body.
Here are some of the life-changing benefits of having balanced blood sugar:
• Improvement in your ability to focus • Helps control hunger cravings • Better sleep • An overall improvement in energy levels • Promotes fat loss • Prevents Inflammation • Stabilizes mood • Weight loss/ breaks down body fat • Helps control sugar cravings • Keeps hormones in check • Increased energy and mental alertness • Increased lean muscle mass which increases metabolism
UMM, did anyone else not know all the ways balanced blood sugar affects your body? Crazy. But ya'll (I know I'm from NJ, but hey, I'm living in the south!) I have conquered the cravings! I moderately indulge when I want to, but, life is about balance. Before, though, the sugar craving was ruling me, now I RULE IT! Yay!
Here are some things that helped me:
1)Using stevia over sugar. Stevia is derived from the stevia plant, making it an all natural sweeter. It is not man made and is zero calories per serving, zero carbohydrates, and zero glycemic response. It also has benefits of using it like aiding weight loss and reducing inflammation. You can get sodas like zevia if you can't live without your soda fix!
2) Simple, but helpful! I simply will eat fruit when I have a craving.
3) I simply do not buy it! No brainer, right? But it's hard once you're in the store! Use things like Walmart PickUp to avoid the sight of sweets if you feel like you really can't control it!
4) MY FAVORITE EVER secret weapon pink drink! Literally so many benefits, also my number one momfuel for energy + post partum weight loss. Bye bye coffee + 10tbs of sugar! This bad boy was created by an endocrinologist to aid diabetics in regulating their sugars. It helps reduce sugar cravings + balances my blood sugar. This bad boy is awesome. The best part about this product is it comes with a 60 day money back guarantee. Click here to purchase a 7 day experience or here to try a free sample!
5) Good ol' exercise helps burn some of that sugar off, so create a workout plan for yourself, that way you can feel better knowing you are burning it off :)
6)Be mindful of what you're consuming where there are 'hidden' sugars. White bread goes through a process of BLEACHING (AHHH!) and it breaks down very quickly in your body and will be stored as fat! Choose whole wheat bread, I love this Arnold brand.
Hope these tips help you conquer your sugar cravings! I'll be back next week for Wellness Wednesday, serving up some tips that have helped me on this journey to becoming my healthiest self!